How Do I Get More Treatment When My PIP Runs Out After an Oregon Car Accident?

By October 6, 2014 Uncategorized No Comments

All car insurance policies issued for delivery in Oregon must contain Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits of at least $15,000. PIP pays for all reasonable and necessary medical expenses for injuries arising from a motor vehicle accident. Many people do not have health insurance so this mandatory coverage is very helpful to those injured in a car accident. However, while $15,000 may seem like a lot of money, when it comes to medical bills it is just a drop in the bucket. So what happens when the $15,000 is gone and you still need medical treatment?


This is a difficult situation that we see on a regular basis. Your options are limited, but an Oregon personal injury lawyer should be able to help you navigate this process. The most common approach is to have your medical provider treat you on a letter of protection. With a letter of protection a medical provider will continue to treat the injured person, but the provider agrees to wait until you reach a settlement with the insurance company before getting paid. The letter of protection promises that the injured party will pay the provider out of settlement proceeds.


Unfortunately many medical providers will not agree to this arrangement. There are other options, such as obtaining a loan from legal funding companies, but the terms are unfavorable and can make it very difficult to settle your case when treatment is complete.


If you find yourself in this situation please call us for a free consultation. We’ll be happy to explain your options for getting the medical treatment you need.

Evaluate your Personal Injury Claim Call 503-405-8273